Wednesday, August 18, 2010

happy hunting

I have amped up my job hunt.  My current job just might be ending.  It is for sure changing.  Different dates are floating around:  
September 30 = federal grant funds cease
Thanksgiving = [hopefully] we'll be able to carry on with our current funds until then
end of 2010 = [maybe] we'll be able to carry on until then

Meantime, we're looking for financial support from donors.  So far, nothing. . .
. . . . except words of encouragement [and those can't be converted to cash].

So, today I dropped off 3 letters along with resumes.  I decided to personally deliver them because it's just that, more personal.  And, none of these places actually had any posted openings.  But, they're places that sound interesting and rewarding as potential workplaces.

Wanting to look presentable to future employers, I decided to wear a dress.  I do not own any Spanx, so I substituted my biker shorts.  I also wore closed toed shoes, the reasons being twofold:  1)  I was a business major in the 80s and that's what we were told to do [at least I think we were - it's hard to remember that far back]. 2)  I removed the nail polish from my toe nails yesterday and have yet to repolish.  I'm not one to expose my naked toe nails.

My first stop was Refugee Ministries.  It is located north of downtown Lexington in a Christian Church.  I liked the location, and the vibe of the place.  Stop #2 was the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning.  It is downtown, and home to one of the Horse Mania 2010 horses (see blog below).  The building is beautiful, and again, I liked the vibe.  My third stop was the Maxwell Street Legal Clinic, which is actually located just off Maxwell, on Lexington Avenue.  I had a hard time finding just the right place, but a nice young lady who was heading in took my envelope.  Apparently they keep the door locked.  Since I didn't make it inside, I don't know about the vibe, but again, I liked the location [near downtown and adjacent to the UK campus].

I also am mailing a letter and resume to the Singletary Center for the Arts.  I would have delivered, but I wasn't sure about their office location, etc.  Yesterday I applied for a caseworker position at the Salvation Army, and later today I plan to apply online for two position at the University of Kentucky.

Most of what one hears today regarding the job market isn't positive.  The fact that I haven't held a full time job since 1996 isn't especially helpful.  I've been part time since January 2006, and I'd never trade those ten years with my kids.  But I'm not one of those titles:  nurse, CPA, teacher, architect, etc.  The title people seem to have an easier jump back into the workforce.  I'm ambiguous.  I'm one of those not sure what I want to be people.  I know what I like, what I'm interested in.  I know what I don't like, what I'm not interested in.  So hopefully I'll end up with something great.  Or at least good.

For now the hunt continues.  Let me know if you've got any suggestions.  Or would like to offer me a job.  Or an interest free business loan so I can go out on my own.  Or a cash gift.  Or a Subway franchise (not really, I hate the way Subway restaurants smell).


No comments:

Post a Comment