Friday, October 29, 2010

how I spent my National Chocolate Day

Well, yesterday was National Chocolate DayBut, as circumstances would have it [actually I don't really believe in circumstances, but I'll not get philosophical or religious with today's post], it was a not so good dayThe chips, so to speak, fell where they may [not my husband Chip, he's still walking upright], and I found out that my current job will end November 15.  Barring a miracle [but again, I'm not getting phil. . . . . ].  Also, Chip and I were awakened at 4:30 a.m. by a call from one of his employees phoning in sick.  Mind you, if there's no vomit or blood, Chip doesn't consider a person ill.  There wasn't, but Chip had to report into work earlier than planned to cover on a day when he already had to work until 6:30 p.m.  Meaning my morning schedule was also slightly altered [not a problem, but not a delight].  Plus, my son's high school had an utterly chaotic day involving a fire alarm, a food fight and 10 police officers.  Academically, not his best day and he's a lover of routine.  Then Allie texted on her way home about an unpleasant life situation that I won't embarrass her here by going into detail about. 

So, despite that nothing horrific or life altering occurred, it was not one of my top 10 days.  But, it was National Chocolate Day [is there a better cause for celebration?].  Therefore, I baked this cake: 


Don't let the pumpkin throw you off.  You can't taste it.  It's a delicious, chocolate cake [and healthy too, because pumpkin provides beta-carotene - but you probably knew that].  Oh, and I made homemade cream cheese frosting.  Don't use that stuff from the can.  Take the extra time.  You'll be glad you did. 
 
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 c butter or margarine
1 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 c powdered sugar
Beat cream cheese, butter or margarine, milk and vanilla until creamy.  
Mix in powdered sugar until smooth.
 
Hope your NCD was a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment