Tuesday, December 7, 2010

If I was more like Oscar H.

{My Favorite Things}.  Rodgers & Hammerstein.  Minor chords and a 3/4 time signature.  A true classic.  If I was to write my own version it would include dark chocolate and picnics and hiking Raven Run.  I might choose to keep the line about silver white winters that melt into springs, because today is a silver white [technically late fall] day.  I'd also add sunshine and bike rides and salsa made from homegrown tomatoes.  Note that most of my favorite things have to do with spring time and summer. . . . . 

And in place of when the dog bites, when the bee stings. . . . . . I'd include when drivers are rude, when men don't hold the door, when people are just way too selfish [no, it doesn't have the same effect, but I never claimed to be Oscar Hammerstein].  Oh, and I'd also add when the furnace goes out and it's 19 degrees outside [because that's actually happening right now].

Oh, and why not throw in as favs when the kids don't argue [I haven't heard them be cross today], when the soup turns out well [it did tonight!], when my son has a good audition [he did, on Saturday], 
I'll simply remember my favorite things, 
and then I don't feel. . . . . . . so. . . . . . . . bad 
[all the while counting 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 ♪♪♪♫♫♫].

No comments:

Post a Comment