Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Shrove Tuesday

If you read my previous post, you know I'm conducting my own personal Lenten Experiment, per say.  Today is Shrove Tuesday.  I didn't realize until recently, Shrove Tuesday also means Pancake Tuesday.  So, in honor of the day, I made this:


I'm trying to experience this season in a way I never have before.  Not just giving something up, but making the most of the days and weeks leading up to Easter.  Easter is my favorite holiday.  I like it more than Christmas.  Really.  I do.    


Last year I came across this quote:
Lent is a call to weep for what we could have been and are not. Lent is the grace to grieve for what we should have done and did not. Lent is the opportunity to change what we ought to change but have not. Lent is not about penance. Lent is about becoming, doing and changing whatever it is that is blocking the fullness of life in us right now.
Lent is a summons to live anew.
~ Sister Joan Chittister, OSB 


 I like that - a summons to live anew.  

A friend sent me a link to this blog today:


It seems an appropriate reading, as tomorrow our family begins our day with an Ash Wednesday service at Christ Church Cathedral.  Not a Catholic mass, yet probably as close as we ordinary Protestant types have ever been.


My husband has happily (for me and for him) decided to participate in my experiment.  I look forward to becoming, doing and changing whatever it is that is blocking the fullness of life in us right now [together].


Happy Shrove Tuesday.  Hope you were able to enjoy a pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment