Monday, October 31, 2011

{preconceived notions}

A  few weeks back I experienced multiple days of wanting to sit in a church like this:


I desired to be all alone, in a quiet, dimly lit sanctuary.  I wanted to feel the presence of God without interruption.  Just to sit.  For about an hour.  Bible along.  No music.  No other people.  Just me staring at stained glass windows.  That would have been great. 

Regular church attendance has been a part of my life as long as I can remember.  If you read my previous blog entry, you know that our family is without a church home.  Which means we have begun the church hunt.  There are a few people in my life who know this, and have recommended churches for us to try.  Which is thoughtful, of course.  It's nice they care.

The first church on our Let's Give These Churches a Try List was a mega church.  And I must confess I walked into their lovely building yesterday with preconceived notions:
  • Their worship music will be more entertaining than participatory
  • Their pastor will throw out a few bible verses, but won't speak directly from scripture
  • They will be fairly self consumed, not aware of what's happening outside their walls
None of these were true.  And the pastor began a new series on JOY.  And guess what?  My word of the day yesterday was. . . . .

Yes, that's right:



Confirmation that this is where we should be long term?  I don't know if I'd go that far.  It might be.  But I realize if nothing else, it is confirmation that yesterday we were in the right place.

















1 comment:

  1. i feel that way every Sunday we're there, and I can't wait for Carter to be there

    ReplyDelete