Saturday, November 5, 2011

{friendly gratitude}

Our family is doing "30 Days of Thanks".  It's interesting that today's activity is invite someone you're thankful for over to your home.  The reason it's interesting?  Chip has invited his friend Glenn to today's University of Kentucky football game [go.big.blue] and I've baked Glenn a pumpkin cheesecake for his birthday.  These arrangements were made in honor of Glenn's birthday, without consulting with the 30 Day guide.  It just worked out this way.  




I am thankful for Glenn.  He's been a faithful friend to Chip for a long, long time.  And, he's my friend too.  


I was reminded this week that I have a couple ladies in my life that are call in the middle of the night friends.  What I mean by that is, though I don't see them super regularly, though our schedules don't allow weekly lunch dates, though we don't have frequent casual phone convos. . . . . I know I could call either one of them at 2 a.m. and they'd pray with/for me.  They're wise, they're experienced ministry wives and moms, and they'll give it to me straight.   


So, here's to friends.  Whether they're the ones on Facebook I've known since I was in kindergarten or the people I work with or my best friend Chip who is also my husband. . . 


And here's to Pumpkin Cheesecake!


Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe

Crust
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
¼ cup sugar

Cheesecake
3 pkg. (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 ¾ cups pumpkin
2/3 cup (5 fl oz can) evaporated milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 ¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 F. 

For crust:
Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and granulated sugar in medium bowl.  Press onto bottom and 1 inch up side of 9 inch springform pan.  Bake for 6 to 8 minutes (do not allow to brown).  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.

For cheesecake:
Beat cream cheese, sugar and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy.  Beat in eggs, pumpkin and evaporated milk.  Add cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; beat well.  Pour into crust.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until edge is set but center still moves slightly.

Cool in pan on wire rack.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  Remove side of springform pan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment